APT Pro Gear Discussion Board

Lets Talk Weightlifting!!!

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

stretching

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lightweight

PostSubject: stretching   Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 am

would stretching actually help me lift heavier?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LiftinKB

PostSubject: Re: stretching   Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:38 pm

I cant say that I know if it would help you lift more, but it would certainly allow you to lift more without injury. Lifting and not stretching can lead to injury and stiff look and feel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BPM Osgood

PostSubject: Re: stretching   Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:40 pm

from what ive read over the years is that stretching is best after training. It breaks down muscle fibers and you need those for lifting so stretch after.

I like to do extra warm-up sets to warm up the muscle and help keep them from injury... but if something feels to tight then stretch cause its not worth taking the chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bpmosgood.com
thewicked

PostSubject: Re: stretching   Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:26 pm

absolutely..

i'm not going to re-write my kines paper but here's the breakdown..

when you stretch you basically realign the myofibrils and "reset" your muscles to the optimal length/tension for power production. Tight muscles are in essence jammed muscled and can't do as much good at muscles that are lined up with as much "actin/myosin filament contact potential".

pretty much stretch both before, DURING EACH SET, and after for the best results. I've noticed the biggest difference when I squat and deadlift by stretching between my sets versus when I forget to...and the numbers show a BIG difference. 2-5 reps sometimes gained when I do stretch versus when I'm lazy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stretching   

Back to top Go down

stretching
Page 1 of 1